Friday, November 04, 2005

TV

This year’s television season sucks the big one.

It’s like good writers have been banned from the business. Even though the flood of quality reality shows has subsided somewhat, they throw us pathetic mindless twaddle, pitiful dialogue in uberstylized settings, lame sit-bombs propped up by the latest sell-out comic and the prerequisite t and a with not-so-subtle product placements throughout the lot.

The latest primetime gimmick, perfected in the daytime soaps, is to stretch 1 hour’s worth of storyline throughout an entire season where each week, something is about to happen but never does. See Lost (I don’t, I can’t) and now it’s invaded my much-loved space alien and sea monster genres in the painful slow Threshold, Invasion and Surface.

Where’s 24 and what is the maximum amount of Laws and Orderseses one can watch, anyway?

In years past, I’d know what I’d be doing during primetime a few nights a week. Now, I usually end up watching my filler shows, like the whimsical Mythbusters and the shamefully hilarious MXC.

After my hours of drudgery, I want honest to goodness escapism. Dave Chappelle and Jon Stewart are on too late. Rick Mercer and all the other east coasters dominating the CBC might be OK for a larf. I still got my favourite science shows, nature programs and documentaries. None of these comedic ranters and mind expanders counts as escapism though. I want… no, I need GOOD mindless twaddle.


Have a hoot, watch some tube

No comments: